Monday, October 24, 2011

Music shaping the brain.

Wow. Music is amazing. I find it can enhance the mood I'm in, take me back to a time and place I haven't seen in years, express how I'm feeling, help me to not be distracted by annoying "noises."

There are so many ways music has shaped my life over the years. I just have to say "Delta Dawn" or "Tie me kangaroo down sport" or "oh Lord it's hard to be humble" and I'm a kid again listening to my mom sing. There are songs that make my heart leap ("Clocks" by Coldplay) and classical music that takes me to some ethereal plain (Brandenberg's Third Concerto), there are songs that make me cry ("Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel" makes me remember my brother who, although he's no longer with us, didn't die in a car accident), and songs that make me laugh out loud ("Hell of It" by Paul Williams check it out right now!)

http://www.salon.com/2011/10/23/how_music_warps_our_minds/

No comments:

Post a Comment