Sunday, October 2, 2011

Rick Perry's hunting camp

I really must have been born and flat-out stayed naive.

I understand there are a ton of questions about who owned the property when and how quickly the racist word on the rock was painted over and whether or not Perry knew the word was there, etc., etc.

I'm mostly just stunned that in the 1980's a word I - at that time when I was a much younger person - had long known was inappropriate and offensive.

I guess I just really don't get the way that "we" (the proverbial "we", not anyone in particular) hang on to our heritage so hard that we don't see racism when it's staring us right in the face.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rick-perry-familys-hunting-camp-still-known-to-many-by-old-racially-charged-name/2011/10/01/gIQAOhY5DL_story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment