Monday, February 27, 2012

Why should I care about the Oscars anymore?

I used to watch the Oscars. I used to really care. I made a point of seeing every single picture up for Best Picture BEFORE the ceremony and ponder the odds any one picture would win.

I haven't watched the Oscars now in a few years.

Why you ask? There's no freakin point.

Most of the movies up for Best Picture didn't play anywhere near me. To wit: In order to even see Hugo (which I loved by the way) I had to make a 75 mile drive EACH WAY. Moneyball? Loved it, but had to wait for it to come out on DVD in order to see it. There are several local theaters much closer to me. None of them played The Artist or Tree of Life or Moneyball or several other top contenders. The theater 75 miles away didn't either.

How the heck am I supposed to care about anything other than the few movies I could see? And when I have no idea if they had a chance, there's no point caring about how they do because I have nothing with which to compare them. I've read that The Artist is very good. As soon as it's out on DVD/BluRay I'll see it - and I would have even if it hadn't won.

But when I can't see the "best" pictures of the year until months after awards season you've lost my loyalty Oscar.

No comments:

Post a Comment