Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jesus loves me yes I know, for the Bible tells me so.

Jesus loves me yes I know, for the Bible tells me so.

Goodness, I remember singing that song when I was a kid. More than once, I've caught myself humming it whilst walking down the street or cleaning house or whatever.

I don't know. Maybe Jesus does love me. The rest of you Christians? Not so sure anymore. 




The advertisement above was rejected by Sojourners, an allegedly (I believed it until I saw the open letter to Wallis re: Sojourners rejection of the ad) progressive Christian site/magazine.


Maybe the lyrics of that song should be changed to something like:

"Jesus loves me yes I know except if I'm gay or brown ('cause if you're brown, you're probably illegal -- even though I grew up around folks of Mexican-American heritage who's families had been in this country longer than my own, white family, being brown these days doesn't seem all that great either) or something else that's not in favor right now."

No comments:

Post a Comment