Saturday, June 18, 2011

Loyalty oaths of a sort and the Republicans

I don't like Mitt Romney. Don't like his politics; don't like his waffling. But I do respect him for not signing the Susan B. Anthony "loyalty oath" Why the heck is it that folks on either side of the aisle must follow a very specified set of rules or they're "not one of us". Romney has said he's pro-life. I believe him. I don't agree with him. But I believe him. I think he made a good point in night signing the pledge because it would impact way more than Anthony's pet abortion issue.

Leave the loyalty oaths to the 1950s and McCarthy. Let's expect our candidates to behave like adults and change their minds as they learn more about issues (i.e. Romney used to be pro gay rights, pro health reform and pro choice. He learned more -- as in "gosh I want to get elected and primary voters are really picky -- and changed his mind.) Lots of folks change their minds. I'd hate to think that I thought the same things I did when I was 12 and that I refused to let new information or new insight or life experience get in the way of new thinking.

Santorum. What a guy. Good job coming down on Romney for standing up for principle. Quick, Google Santorum and 'frothy mix'

No comments:

Post a Comment